Do you spend a significant part of your day attending to your Facebook account and doing other Facebook-related activities? Do you often fail to finish your work or run other errands on time because you are too busy with Facebook?Would you rather spend time on Facebook rather than participate in many activities in the real world?
If you answered yes to these questions then there is a very big chance that you might be suffering from Facebook addiction. Although not exactly a recognized medical condition, there is no doubt that Facebook addiction is a growing concern among many Facebook users. If you suspect that you may be suffering from this condition then it is crucial that you address it as soon as possible. Like other addiction diseases, the first thing you need to do is recognize the symptoms of Facebook addiction.
Here are some common symptoms:
- Checking your Facebook is the first and last thing you do each day. Is checking your account one of the very first things you do when you get up in the morning? Do you check your Facebook several times within the day but still feel the urge to log in one last time before you go to bed? If you answered yes then you could be addicted to Facebook.
- You neglect work and other duties because of Facebook. Logging into Facebook is a good way to unwind when you are feeling stressed from work. However, if you have become unproductive because you spend more time on Facebook than you spend working then chances are you have become addicted.
- You constantly think about Facebook. Constantly having Facebook on your mind is another tell-tale sign that you may be becoming too attached to this social networking site. Do you constantly think about your next Facebook status? Are you always interested to see who might be commenting or posting on your wall? Are you always thinking about the next time you can go online and check your account?
- You use Facebook as a way to escape real life. If your life on Facebook seems more rewarding and exciting than your real life then this is another sign that you may need a reality check. A lot of people now use Facebook not just as a pastime but as a way to distract them self from real life.
- You no longer have any social interaction. If the only way you interact with your friends and new people is through Facebook then you seriously need take a break from the internet. Regular interaction with people is integral for a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately, many Facebook users no longer take the time to enjoy activities with their friends out in the real world. Socially interacting with your friends keeps you connected in a meaningful way.
- Your health starts suffering because of Facebook. Believe it or not, being addicted to Facebook can cause plenty of health concerns. For instance, you could be losing sleep because of Facebook. Using Facebook excessively also causes you to spend hours in front of your computer and prevents you from becoming physically active.
These are some of the common signs of Facebook addiction.